Destination South, the part of India that alone produces more than 50 varieties of silk fabric, South India is the sacrosanct of silk sarees. The handloom silk sarees woven in this part of the country is not just popular across India but they are always in demand all over the world. Displaying a large variety of creativity in their weaving techniques, motifs and designs, today Shatika brings you the five best varieties of the Indian Handloom Silk Sarees of South India:
1. Kanchipuram silk sarees: Stamped as the finest and the most exquisite silk sarees of the country are the Kanchipuram silk sarees from Kanchipuram, a small town in Tamil Nadu near Chennai. Loaded with rich cultural heritage, Kanchipuram is one of the oldest weaving hubs of the country. Woven using the 4ply technique, the weaving of Kanchipuram sarees is rather unique.These silk sarees that are noted for their texture, glimmer, permanence and refinement are the torch bearers of our rich culture and opulent tradition.
2. Gadwal Silk Sarees: Gadwal which is in Telangana state of India is famous for its Gadwal silk sarees, which with their exquisite zari work and well-crafted Kuttu borders and pallus command great admiration and demand throughout the country.The whole process of weaving Gadwal sarees is painstakingly carried out manually in an interlocked-weft technique.Their remarkable trait of getting folded down to the size of a matchbox makes these Gadwalsarees legendary to India.
3. Pochampally Silk Sarees: Spread over an attractive corner of the Deccan plateau, Pochampally is a well-known weaving centre in South India. Popular for its centuries-old weave in ikat style of dyeing, the uniqueness in the Pochampally weave relies on the transfer of design onto the warp and weft first, which are then woven together to get the required design. All this results in vivid and geometric designs that are a visual delight to look at.
4. Mysore Silk Sarees: Mysore silk sarees that come in suave colors and the trademark gold lace borders hail from culture rich Mysore of Karnataka and are considered to be one of the purest forms of silk sarees in the country. Featuring exquisite colors, soft silken texture and minimalistic designs, they are a symbol of class and sophistication.
5. Bangalore Silk Sarees: Bangalore silk sarees hail from Bangalore, a place considered to give impetus to the silk industry in India. Popular for their simplicity, purity and fine texture of silk, these sarees come in exhilarating borders and pallu in contrasting colors. Through rich zari motifs, woven patterns, and designer zari borders, Bangalore silk sarees are known to create a festive aura.